Saturday, January 28, 2012

Light Stew

No, this post is not about any culinary delight or the making thereof. Although, I must admit that the title is a result of pining for a dish that falls under the stew category. But, I digress. This meandering piece is about adding an LED video light into the mix while shooting pictures using off-camera flash.

This picture is what got the gears in my head spinning.


The photo above was shot in the Forensics exhibit room during one of the chemistry road shows last year. The first stop was laid out to simulate a crime scene with a 'murder victim' to boot. To create a TV-crime atmosphere, the students who ran the room decided to go with an LED video light as a means to put emphasis on the current exhibit as the viewers were being walked through the room; and of course, to add drama. Since the lights inside the room were turned off and there was virtually no ambient contribution, I treated the LED video light like any continuous light source — like a fluorescent lamp without the weird color cast or the sun (albeit scaled way, way down) with an off switch.

And then I got to thinking, why not stick an off-camera hot shoe flash into the mix?

__________

Okay, so flashing (the kind that doesn't involve nudity) a group of high school students was going to be annoying at best. I opted to wait for a lull in between viewings to shoot the picture below with both light sources now in play. The flash is gridded and held by a VAL on camera right. The short break also provided me with a number of willing subjects.



In this shot, the flash is acting as the key light while the LED video light is acting as fill. Just to be clear, the 'murder victim' isn't really dead nor is her back misshapen. And none of the smiling faces are budding serial killers (as far I know). I was happy to head home with the image above, but as the road show continued I got to thinking again (yeah, I do a lot of that) —

Why not use each light source to illuminate different layers of the scene? And while we're at it, let's use those cool shadows at the back.


In this shot, the LED video light is shining on the students. Not only that, it warms up a bit as it bounces off the student with the yellow shirt. The flash is fired from camera right to light the 'murdered' hunchback foreground. The moment I saw it on the back of my camera, I thought it had an edgy movie poster look to it. Given that it was done impromptu and under very limited time, I was ecstatic.

If you believe in an idea (no matter how bizarre it is), it pays to stick with it and see where it takes you, even if you have to scramble around in the dark for a while.

*Click on any of the above images to view it larger in a light box.

8 comments:

  1. So this is what's happening while I rolled over and played dead. :) Love the last shot, P're. Looks like straight from one those film noirs you and Hess love to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, P're (especially for playing dead in these pictures). Now that you mention it, it does have a noirish quality to it. :-)#

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered how actors will place their roles in a resume.
    Especially in CSI.

    Experience:
    Decapitated Dude in CSI Season 4 Episode 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one, dude. :-)#

      Or one could also be a 'foot model' when they open the morgue cabinet with a corpse inside.

      Delete
  4. These shots are priceless. Too bad I wasn't able to witness the "crime" and the "deduction" personally. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the only crime was to use a perfectly good piece of bread to hold the knife in place. :-D#

      Delete
  5. Hey P're, you're not supposed to give away trade secret. :D

    Btw, you also have the reply button. Getting the hang of it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A knife stuck on a piece of bread isn't really much of a trade secret, P're.

      I found out that one has to use the embedded comment format instead of the full page one to avail of the feature. I think this format facilitates discussion better. Thanks for the heads-up.

      Delete