Tuesday, July 10, 2012

In Profile: Carlo Soliven (Part 2)

Part 2 - Behind the lens


I had the privilege and pleasure of having fellow photographer, Carlo Soliven, sit for me in a turning-tables sort of portrait session while he was home a few months back. You can view my post and the pictures from that shoot here.

This post is a feature of the beautiful pictures that Kaloy, as I fondly call him, makes with his camera.

As he is currently working in Singapore, let's start off with his classic shot of the iconic Merlion.


Carlo is currently making his way into fashion photography. He also utilizes an off-camera flash or two when he shoots, but is equally comfortable in natural light. Here are some of my  favorites from his more current fashion-inspired shoots.



I love how he integrates strong elements of composition into his portraits, especially the lines in both images above.


Being a strobist disciple himself, I also admire his restraint when using light. We seem to agree that drama is best created when one doesn't light everything in the frame, which he does superbly in the image above.

However, at the end of the day, when Kaloy would like to take a more deliberate pace. He goes back to shooting landscapes, which I believe he is equally good at. A zen-like exercise that I can definitely relate to.


The above shot is an HDR image of a bridge at the Punggol Promenade. To be honest, I'm not really a fan of HDR, but I definitely like the way he processes this image, still showing restraint without going overboard on all that dynamic range goodness.

Whether shooting landscapes or models, Carlo seems to have both skills in the bag.

*All pictures in this post are copyrighted to Carlo Soliven and used with his expressed written permission.

1 comment:

  1. Turning tables? Does that mean you also sat for him? :)

    Well-written post, P're. It showed how close you both are and yet, you managed to present him in unbiased manner.

    The landscapes shots show dynamism and movement. They remind me of what I had seen at Ayala last Sunday night. Ig-agaw jud diay mo ni Carlo, P're. :)

    ReplyDelete