Tuesday, July 3, 2012

In Profile: Carlo Soliven (Part 1)

Part 1 - In front of the lens

There is always a ton of some trepidation when one is asked to make a portrait of another photographer. It isn't just because one runs the risk of looking like a complete idiot in front of someone who could very well know what you're trying to achieve and realizes, before you do, that you're failing miserably. It's also because most photographers are a lot more comfortable behind the lens rather than in front of it. As such, there's a lot of fidgeting and wrangling before you finally get one to relax long enough just so you can shoot a picture of them blinking.

I had such a challenge an opportunity when I had my cousin, Carlo, sit for me. We started out with a standard head-shot-type image. Three lights in total --- one key, two rims --- with the subject on a black background.


You might think that Mr. Soliven doesn't smile all that much, but we actually went through a LOT of shots just to get to this one, since we were laughing most of the time. In fact, we were laughing so much that we actually had to shoot one in profile just so we wouldn't have to make eye contact, which always led to us chuckling in a second or two.


It was unexpectedly one of my favorites from the set. Plus, I actually managed to get a sharp enough picture as I actually stopped suppressing a laugh long enough to press the shutter.

I was pleased with the shots I got so far, but I also wanted to throw in a picture that told the viewer that he is looking at a photographer. I wanted to achieve this without bringing in the oft-used camera into the frame because that has been done by nearly every photographer who has ever shot a photographer. I decided to bring in a ring flash adapter into the picture to not just add an interesting element into the frame, but also to show that this is someone who shoots using off-camera flash.


Carlo actually bought and liked this idea and the resulting image. However, I thought that the ring flash adapter might compete for attention with the subject since it was the brightest element in the picture, so I decided to shoot one where I could exploit the aforementioned quality by using it as a framing device.


I rendered the resulting image in black and white, which in my opinion made it a lot more interesting. However, it doesn't really matter what I think looks interesting because at the end of the session it's all up to the subject to decide whether I made the whole awkward experience pay off.

I hope I did.

Note: 'Part 2 - Behind the lens' will feature Carlo's more recent work and will be posted soon.

6 comments:

  1. Photographers should learn from this post. Typical profile shots of a photographer always involve them with their cameras. You did a great job, portraying Carlo and his profession using a different equipment.

    The third shot hinted how much fun you, guys, had been having despite the awkwardness of the experience. The last shot is the coolest. Definitely your style. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, P're.

      We did have fun. After previewing the pictures, Carlo even commented that it's actually fun to be in front of the lens for a change, if only occasionally. :-)#

      Delete
  2. Nice.
    Starting to look like his father too. :)

    Btw, how are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude.

      Kaloy and BigJ are doing well in Singapore. His folks are settling in nicely in Mandaue.

      Delete
  3. Favoriiiiiiite nako ang last pic!!!!! Ang third pic cute pud mura siyag angel nga nag break kadali gi tangtang ang halo for awhile hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I didn't really think about the angel angle until you mentioned it. :-)#

      Delete