Monday, July 23, 2012

1 out of 259

Poet Rita Dove once said, "Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful." I am fortunate to have a twofold insight into that wonderful passage --- First, as a chemist, I have experienced firsthand how a substance can be refined via the effervescent purification of the distillation process. Second, as the occasional 'poet', I can appreciate how choosing the right words for the right occasion can make one's message far greater than the sum of its parts.

These words resonate in photography as well. I believe now (and it took me a while to get to this point) that if you want to make a great picture, you just don't need to get the technical aspect right, but you have to consider the creative elements of the image (and more so). Your picture must tell a story. And very often this story is achieved by choosing what part of the image to show in the frame. And even when you feel that you have a lot of good pictures that meet the criteria, not all of them will be great. Trust me, they're not. (Quite often, you have to be your own worst critic.)

I read an article for photographers who want to improve their skill; the piece was written by a professional who said that if you get ten good pictures in a year, then you can consider that to be a good year. So, in as much as I would like to 'say more' by putting out more pictures, I chose the picture below out of 259 (culled from nearly 400 images) to tell my story of last Saturday's department party*.


Do you think I was able to tell my story of the events that transpired well enough?

Please feel free to throw in your two cents in the 'comment well' below. Thanks for reading.

*Other pictures from the event will still be posted for the purposes of documentation. :-)#

8 comments:

  1. That quote you're mentioning is from Ansel Adams... "Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that nugget of photography knowledge, Jan. :-)#

      I knew it sounded awfully familiar. I guess the photographer who wrote the article simply restated Adams' original statement.

      Still in MLA?

      Delete
  2. Judging by what you posted, I'd say the party was a physical yet playful one that resulted to sore and tired muscles and invigorating camaraderie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, P're. I do have a couple more good pictures from the party, but this one stood out.

      Delete
    2. Let me just say that you did a fine quick capture of Nestor's jump. Have you considered shooting game events?

      Delete
    3. Thank you, P're.

      'Stopping' motion is one of the advantages of shooting with flash, but I don't think I have the proper gear for shooting sports and similar events. :-)#

      Delete
  3. Hi Kuy, been long since I visited your page and so far you have not failed to delight me with your writings and photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chik, for reading. I just discovered your blog myself and will be seeing the far corners of the world through your eyes. :-)#

      Safe travels always.

      Delete