Sunday, March 4, 2012

Grid-lock

I have contemplated permanently attaching a grid to one of my flashes a number of times now (and that's during one of my saner days). I might just do it one of these days as the grid is one of the most used  light modifiers  in my bag (and probably my favorite). I have always loved how it restricts light, which makes it a great way to isolate (or selectively light) my subject. And plus it weighs next to nothing and requires only a Velcro strap (or a rubber band in a pinch) to attach to a hot shoe flash.

It is this very portability that allows me to bring it with me even on family trips because you'll never know when you'll need a 'kiss' of light to capture a moment like the one below.


My brother and his son were standing near the pool light, which created a warm yellow orange glow around them. However, the light was not powerful enough to illuminate their faces, so I simply popped a flash in the frame. I warmed the light up a bit with a 1/4 CTO gel to more or less match the color coming from the pool light. After making a couple of test shots, it was all a matter of waiting for my nephew to flash his endearing 'cute face'. :-D#

_________

For those who are interested in the technical details, here are my settings:

Camera - f/4.0, 1/25s, ISO 200, WB Cloudy | Off-camera flash (triggered via Cactus V4) - at 1/32 power, +1/4 CTO gel, through 1/8" grid

0 comments: Drop your 2¢ in the comment well.:

Post a Comment