Sunday, August 26, 2012

Leap of Faith


Due to my decision to not finish my master's degree, I will most likely be teaching part-time (if at all) this coming second semester. I was in no way blindsided about this soon-to-be-fact; I was made perfectly aware that this would be the consequence of my inaction and I am gladly accepting it. Truth be told, if I was given another 'reprieve', I would adamantly refuse such an offer.

I will take my knocks and move on.

But the Finish Line Is in Sight


A lot of people have already lectured me on how little I have left to do before I get my degree, and the most common analogy used in these talks is that of a race. I'm nearly at the finish, so why not call on one last second wind to get myself to cross the line?

I am not arguing the validity of the comparison, but I must question their perspective. Whatever people tell me about how they can relate to this specific part of my life, I must remind them that no one ever can. The same way that I can't claim to know what other people are going through based on their career decisions or the kind of shoes they wear. If I were to offer my own analogy it would be that of a person drowning his sorrows in alcohol (which I have quite some personal experience with as well) looking at the last remnants of liquor in the bottle, and then asking himself whether he should just go ahead and gulp it down.

Would the same people espousing the race analogy still call it a waste if the bottle was left unfinished?

Mr. End meet Mrs. End


I realize that this will pose a number of problems for me and my wife financially, but I don't plan on taking any days off come October. I will be using the time to launch a photography business that has been in development for the past few months. I will be actively engaged in portfolio-building personal projects over the next few months and will be promoting my best work to potential clients wherever and whenever. I also realize that I will not earn anything from this venture right away, but my Susan has firmly assured me that we can do this and that she is with me every step of the way. I count myself blessed to have such a lovely and strong woman in my life.

I am also very fortunate to have the support of a select number of family and friends who have been rooting for me from the beginning. And of course, I always appreciate you, my loyal readers, for embarking on this journey with me.

That Sinking Feeling


I once heard one of my college classmates bemoan the fact that he felt his whole life was on the brink of falling off a cliff over water. I always thought that cliffs are just geological formations that signal where the land ends and the sea begins. Why should I continuously shuffle my feet near the precipice when I can cannonball into the cool water that awaits below and rewrite life from hereon in.


There is definitely more to come...

6 comments:

  1. for what it's worth, i support you.

    leap and the net will appear.

    and if it doesnt, fly.

    - jan ralph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking the time to say that means a lot to me, Jan. You have helped me in so many ways already and I am very much grateful. And if given a choice between a net appearing and wings sprouting, I'll take the latter.

      Delete
  2. I don't know why, but I am teary-eyed reading this. But please count it as a compliment, Sir Jotay. Both for the very words in the writeup, and the feelings imparted to me as a reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you, Jid. And although there is a sad undercurrent to the words in this post, please be assured that these are words of hope.

      Delete
  3. Dude.
    Beginnings are always scary and endings are always sad. But its the middle that counts. You have to remember this at the beginning.

    God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete