Sunday, August 12, 2012

The Lit Landscape (Part 2)

I'm a fan of the hidden nook. While at Cebu Marine Resort at Cordova, where I made this picture of Mangrove saplings, with the family, I found a patch of more mature trees that enclosed a strip of sand at the end of the concrete pier. I peered in and  saw an opportunity to squeeze in an off-camera flash into the scene below.




I changed my camera settings to underexpose the scene by about two stops. I lowered myself a bit more to get a better angle.  I planned to light the tree trunk on camera left, so I changed my position to juxtapose the yellow leaves on upper camera left with the trunk. It was a matter of asking my assistant, the lovely Susan, to move into position with the flash, which had a 1/4 CTO gel on and a grid to warm up and restrict the light coming off it respectively. I shot a couple of frames and varied the shutter speed to control ambient contribution until I got a mix that I was happy with.




I could have shot the manicured lawns and the ornamented interiors of the resort, but I'm sure that most of their camera-carrying clientele have already snapped a picture or twenty of these sights. I am a fan of the concealed cranny because I believe there is beauty to be found and revealed where it is not immediately apparent.

7 comments:

  1. Looks like one of the Snow White's men or a hobbit will come a-leaping anytime soon, P're. Perhaps, the white rabbit chased by Alice will scurry in.

    Nevertheless, your flash has captured the strong lines of the land and the graceful curves of the tree trunk. Made me think of a dancing lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, P're. I did like how the image seems to have a weird sense of scale. The imagery of a lady dancing is a nice thought as well.

      Delete
  2. Nice. Man crush on the scenery Dude. Very nice battlescape for Lord of the Rings. Sorry thought process always leads to geekdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, never apologize for geekdom. :-)#

      I can definitely imagine LotR now, like a battlefield general surveying his forces.

      Delete
    2. Do we still follow the last two tracks for the Matrix soundtrack on that?

      Hehehehe.

      Reminiscing old times again.

      Delete
  3. This scene aids my setting imagination for the Hobbit. ^__^ The fact there is no distinct path, makes it more sort of a Hobbit-friendly place; and in connection with the love of nooks and crannies, under the jagged undulating ground, could be a home of a resident hobbit. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Middle Earth (both in print and on film) has made quite the impression on me, perhaps even permeating my subconscious. :-)#

      Delete