Thursday, August 2, 2012

Using Custom WB as a Creative Tool

Red to Blue


In as much as it is a necessary task when shooting in RAW, I have no stamina for prolonged post-processing (PP) work. I would rather be out there making pictures rather than sitting in front of a computer monitor. I do most (lately, it seems to be all) of my PP work in Lightroom, which works for me since I mainly just make adjustments to the sliders under the 'Basic' and 'Detail' panels for the pictures that I shoot. And for this very reason, I always strive to get the shot right, as I have previsualized it, before I even press the shutter. If I can't make it in camera, then I won't fake it in post.

This brings me to an article I read on setting and using a custom white balance (WB) to create an interesting scene from an otherwise ordinary location. I didn't really fiddle with the WB setting on my camera until about two years ago when I wanted to get more consistent color temperatures when working with flash, and even then I mainly just used the preset modes. If you need a primer on WB, I recommend you read this simple and easy-to-understand article on the subject.

I wanted to test the principle of the technique, so I opted to do the reverse of what's shown in the article that I linked to above. I also wanted to find out if it would work on non-human subjects, so I choose to shoot my wife's potted plants.

Okay, on with the experiment! It starts with setting the camera's WB to 'Daylight', and then shooting the scene with a red gel in front of the lens.


I wonder if I can pass this off as an abstract art piece. I mean this guy certainly pulled it off. But I digress. I shot the concrete wall above the plants since it was as close to a neutral gray as I could get. I then used the file to set my WB to a custom value, after which I set my WB setting to 'Custom'.

So, did it work?



__________

I am a little surprised to report that it did. I shot one frame of my subject under the new custom WB and got the picture below.


From the above picture, it would appear as if I shot this either at dawn or at dusk. I actually carried out this lighting experiment in the shade at about three 3:00 pm. So far so good, but there's still the business of adding the off-camera flash into the mix.

Taking the Red Pill Gel


I had my settings dialed in to give a depth in the shadows that I wanted for the final image. I proceeded to attach the red gel to the flash and dialed in a power setting to properly expose my subject. I attached a grid to the front of the flash to restrict the beam of light, so I could selectively light the scene. If the theory behind the technique holds, the gelled light is supposed to come out free of any color cast. I composed my shot and got the picture below.


I liked how it gave me a rich 'layered' result. I had to make minor adjustments in post, especially since the light was still a bit on the red side for my taste. Of course, one could always do this in an image editing suite like Photoshop, but if (and that's a big if) I could pull it off, it would probably take me longer than it did to set everything up for the shot above. All in all, I would call this particular lighting experiment a success. Up next, human trials.

4 comments:

  1. P're, I'm curious. What will happen if you didn't turn it into Daylight and turn it into Cloudy or Fluorescent instead?

    Looking forward to the human trials, P're. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cloudy and fluorescent settings have their own preset color temperatures, so it's probably going to skew the resulting WB in the opposite direction.

      I've tried out human trials, but I haven't gotten results that are good enough to post yet. I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  2. The post opens up with only the top portion of the red picture showing. Then the word RAW caught my eye. I was thinking, hey a wrestling post. Nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dude. I'm sorry to disappoint you on the wrestling part. Don't worry, I will let you know if and when I do get to write something about the sport. :-)#

      Delete