Monday, July 4, 2011

In Profile: The Men of USC Chem

Let me start this post with a disclaimer: I am not a fashion photographer. I would like to think of myself as a portrait photographer (with a slant towards the editorial at that) with the good fortune of getting to shoot people who are just fashionable. What I would like to capture is a person’s essence in a photograph. The light, the setting, the clothes … well, they all take a backseat to having my subject feel that I have revealed to him and to the world one of the best facets of his person. With that said, allow me to return to regular programming.

I’ve been asked a number of times as to why I don’t have that many picture sets of male subjects on Flickr. Well, to be honest, I know very little about how to best flatter a man in a picture. I’m afraid that having shot mainly women, I might put a guy in a pose that ends up to be feminine. Women have nice, round curves that are easy to mold into a pleasing composition. Men are full of sharp and angular features that require a different set of rules altogether.

You’re a man, so wouldn’t it be easier to work with someone who has the same working parts as you?

You’d think that, but no.

Which is why I am thankful for the opportunity to have worked with James, as he pretty much just poses himself and I just throw a light up and shoot away.

20110611_james_0014

More of and about James after the jump …

__________

From what I know about James, I can say with certainty that he’s no one-trick pony. He is currently a third-year B.S. Chemistry student. And on top of schoolwork (which can be had in abundance at this point in the program), he currently serves as president of the Chemistry Students’ Association. This guy can dance, play the drums and flash that winning smile in a wink.

20110611_james_0008

20110611_james_0003

He reminds me a bit of my good friend, Brian. Only Brian can’t really dance in the strictest sense of the word, even if his life depended on it. Well, uncoordinated birds of the same feather …

4 comments:

  1. Parts! ako lang i-whisper ako comment :D dili man gud about ni James hahahha but Congrats, Parts kay naa na jud kay "MEN of USC!" collection

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that women are easier to pose. Their flattering features are easier to find than men's. A lot of times, posing men can be overdone and misconstrued. These shots are good, P're. More practice and you'll easily get your desired objective, that is, to bring out their character into the shots. Plus, you might get the hang of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ising - Men of USC Chem lang ha. I'll set Men of USC as a future project. You can be creative director of that if you like. :P#

    @Queenie - Salamat, P're. I don't like the :) at the end of '... you might get the hang of it'. What are you trying to imply? :)#

    ReplyDelete
  4. The :) means you might widen your circle of future clientele. :)

    ReplyDelete