Wednesday, September 21, 2011

First Steps


September is nearing its end. I look back on the pictures that I made for my personal portrait project, DPP 0811. And I can say that I am quite happy with the work that I was able to produce. I, honestly, had more favorites from the previous project that I shot; but across the board, I found that the current batch of images are better thought out, a quality that I was able to consistently maintain. I got more comfortable with the use of multiple lights; but more importantly, found my way in talking to and working with people as well. In retrospect, I wished that I either had more time (August was a hectic month at the university) or for schedules with prospective subjects to simply sync up.

So, what’s next for me?

As some of you already know, I am glacially slowly working my way towards becoming a portrait (for the most part, but I’ll shoot anything at least once) photographer and hopefully quit my day job (which consumes most of my nights as well). To take my first tentative step into pursuing that dream and as a thank-you to all those who gave their time to make pictures with me, I am going to sponsor a contest.

Read on to know more about the mechanics.

__________


Maybe I should make it clear at this stage, that the prizes will not be monetary (teachers are not remembered for their affluence), but will be in kind. Further details will be provided in the contest mechanics, which are as follows:
  1. Review the 29 pictures that I shot for my DPP 0811, which can be accessed here. Select your personal favorites from the set. Vote for your favorite by clicking on the +1 button below the post for each image. If you have already +1’d it at an earlier time, then that will already count as a vote.
  2. After placing your votes, answer the given question in the comment section of this blog post (click on the ‘Post a Comment’ link below) — What is your dream portrait theme?
  3. Participants must complete both tasks (in no. 1 and 2 above) to qualify for the prize. All votes and comments must be in by 11:59 p.m. (UTC + 8) of September 30, 2011 to count.
  4. The three pictures (and their respective subjects, of course) to garner the most +1’s will be declared as winners. Each winner will get an 8R print of their picture from the DPP 0811 series. The picture with the most +1’s will entitle the subject of that photo to a portrait session* with yours truly.
  5. At the end of the contest, I will then randomly select a participant (from the comments below) who will also win a portrait session* with this photographer. If the selected winner is also one of the subjects in the pictures and has won the top prize, then a new winner will be redrawn.
*The details of which will be discussed after the winner is selected. However as a teaser of sorts, this package will cover three hours of the photographer’s time and a number of prints and digital copies of the finished images from the shoot that the recipient will select.


If you have queries regarding this contest, please send me an e-mail via jrlocaylocay@gmail.com. The comment space below will be reserved strictly for answers to the question as detailed in the mechanics.

Good luck.

__________

*Update (Sept. 23):

After having heard initial questions and feedback about the contest I'm sponsoring, I felt I needed to clarify a few things:

  • If your Google account username does not contain your name (or a part of it), kindly include it in your post so that I can identify you. It would be a shame if you got picked and your username is unknown.
  • If your +1's are not public (and you're not in my G+ circles), then I may have to verify with you (if you get picked as the winner) which picture/s you had voted on.
  • After this contest, I am officially offering my services for hire as a photographer to those who need it. I will primarily start with portrait packages for individuals and small groups. I will share the details of these packages at the end of the contest. I will be offering a discount to friends and family for the first month or so.
  • If you do win, we can definitely use the themes you mentioned as a template for your shoot. However, as I am still starting out, we may have to re-interpret it in a way that is doable. Or we could also think up a brand new theme altogether. Please note that I am only offering my services (and its resulting pictures). You will have to provide the place and your wardrobe, although I can make recommendations based on what I think would be best for your session.

I hope this sufficiently clears things up. Do keep those entries coming. :-)#


10 comments:

  1. I would love to see a portrait with a person handling a wild animal (e.g. snake). I would love to see a subtle pose from the person while together with the wild creature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dream portrait:
    a person underwater, with a school of fish all around:) without any oxygen tank, and other thingy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. adventure theme!
    it's going to be awesome to have a portrait in a breathtaking scenery, participating it's awesomeness (i.e. instead of posing on a beach cliff one would jump instead). getting all "down and dirty" as opposed to the usual "neat and proper" portraits shows the essence of the subject. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. At a cliff with a lone tree in the left and the moon at its full overhead but slightly located more on the right. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creative shot, like theater. Where one has to paint her face or wear something unusual (like cosplayers do), etc to express himself without having to smile at the camera.. then pose in front of a painted background (achieved through editing if one can't access to painting) like the streets in Marvel or the skyscraper at night where Batman lurks.

    Haha! Hasula ani na shot oie. Nah, too much work, but FUN!:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dream portrait:

    City lights behind me during night time at high elevation (like Mountain View Park or any highly elevated place that covers a good view of city lights) something like this
    ---skip to 2:50
    youtube.com/watch?v=hTMrlHHVx8A&ob=av2e

    ReplyDelete
  7. You'll probably think my idea's boring, but I'll say it anyways. I'd like to have one of those portraits done in the Renaissance period. The kind where ladies wore corsets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You already know my next dream portrait theme, Parts! I'm shy to post it here (hahahha!) But if you really insist that I have to post to validate my entry to the contest, my next next dream portrait would be ME enjoying the sunset in Boracay :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. dream portrait:

    in a perfect garden view with of balloons (mahangyo rag bubbles.hahah!)..nya lami na clouds..ms Queenie knows what "lami na cloud" looks like. :))

    or sunset :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. my dream portrait would be:
    a portrait where i am by the cliff where the sea can be clearly seen and the weather would be that time when it is about to rain...hmmm maybe this picture would clearly portray what i am trying to say...;)
    http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dream+portraits&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&biw=1680&bih=938&tbm=isch&tbnid=P-fGTXWIA7-OnM:&imgrefurl=http://fangirlisms.com/2009/01/07/disney-dream-portraits-by-annie-leibovitz/disney-dream-portraits-arthur/&docid=muSPfNK3hBFCPM&w=1023&h=690&ei=_p-FTt7WEYGkiAfoq9WdDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=780&vpy=456&dur=518&hovh=178&hovw=262&tx=171&ty=88&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=189&start=0&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0

    ReplyDelete