Friday, November 4, 2011

Come as You Are


I have written a piece on how I perceive a portrait to be and the process behind its creation. Most of my insights on portraiture are more of the old school than of the new. This doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the new styles and techniques that have emerged, but let's just say that I am more of a get-it-right-in-camera kind of photographer. If I can achieve the look that I need with the right clothes (or the lack thereof), a little makeup and flattering light, then I am more than happy to call it a day.


__________

I am all for learning new skills, but I have long realized that, with limited time and resources; I can't possibly manage to pursue everything I want to learn. I have to be selective and specialize. Thus, I strive to come up with a close approximation of the finished image even before I press the shutter. I have to admit that after I make the picture, I do polish it up in post. However, my post-processing skills are limited to adjusting tone, contrast and color. I will only retouch an image (which is something that I can do to a serviceable degree) if a particular unwanted element distracts from the overall aesthetic. I have long realized that these little 'imperfections' lend a particular character to a portrait and apparently there are many people out there who want a memorable picture of themselves and their loved ones sans Photoshop goggles.


I wrote a short account of how I made pictures of friends who had recently come home for short visits. Eugene was gracious enough to let me use some of the photos we shot that morning for this post. He came up with the concept; I just helped him realize it. He was clear about making these more as intimate and personal portraits rather than 'beefcake-type' photos. I asked him to trust me.

I dearly hope his trust is well-founded.

5 comments:

  1. It is expected from you (after you honed your skills through the years) and yet it still amazes me how you were able to capture three moods of Eugene- pensive, quietly assertive, and private.

    The middle one is my favorite among the three. It shows the quiet strength of Eugene that most people belatedly realized.

    Eugene must be really proud. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, P're.

    I am happy to make memorable pictures of my friends whenever and wherever I can. I may seldom appear in pictures, but at least you guys will remember me through these images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i already said this before, thanks Jots... as simple as it is, but it means a lot. Kwin, you really know me well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'gene, you're welcome. I am happy to have captured these moments with you. We hope to have you home again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What are kindred spirits for! :)

    ReplyDelete