Friday, June 3, 2011

The Light of the Household

20110423_bantayan_holyweek_0032

A considerable number of people tell me (often without provocation) that I take after my mother. As far as I can tell, that would be a fair observation to make as I haven’t been told that I was adopted (well, not yet anyway) or I fell from the sky during a meteor shower. Seriously though, I must admit that I do share more than a few similarities with the old gray dame far beyond the semi-permanent scowl on our faces — We both despise dislike having to sit for a photograph, especially if we are its only subject.

So, how did I manage to make this unconventional portrait of my mother?
 
Well, I simply waited for her to tire out from her Holy Week duties to the point that she could no longer protest my sticking a flash or two in her direction. I also took the opportunity to experiment with a lighting technique where I would create my own fill light instead of relying on the existing ambient conditions.

Another picture and a poorly-drawn diagram after the jump…


__________

What are the advantages of ‘creating’ fill light instead of making do with ambient?
  • The obvious perk is to be able to shoot at a shutter speed of 1/125 s instead of blur-inducing speeds of 1/10 s or slower (as it was close to six in the evening when these photos were made). Since I can increase the power of the fill flash to bring up the shadows, I can get away with the fast shutter.
  • The manufactured fill also allows me to control the level of shadow detail, which I wanted to preserve in this picture to show some detail in the subject’s hands.

Here’s a wider shot that shows the room with the created fill light (area around the hands and legs) and the key light (on her face).

20110423_bantayan_holyweek_0031

I dared to do something new in this portrait, eschewing my preference for deep contrast and detail-less blacks. The result is something of an acquired taste and I wouldn’t even say that it represents the best of my capabilities. But having tried it out, the lessons I gleaned from the exercise made it more than worthwhile.

If you’re interested in trying this sort of lighting out for yourself, I’m posting a diagram of my setup below. I could’ve just written the details down as always, but it was pointed out to me recently that a lot more people process visual information better than the written word (as an educator for 10 years, I should’ve known better). Hence, the diagram, which although poorly-illustrated does lend a certain je ne sais quio appeal to this post.

20110602_lightingdiagram_0001

More to come…

5 comments:

  1. P're, I forgot to ask you. The technique you used in this shoot looks familiar. Is this the same technique you used in one of Sharajen's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is, P're. Although in this setup, the fill flash was bounced up into the ceiling (similar to my office photo of Ising) and it was powered down considerably. But, thanks for remembering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome, P're

    The overall aura of the shot reminds of a shot from the blog of one of your fave photographers, The Strobist. One thought leads to another. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am inspired by David Hobby's pictures. I must admit that I find myself emulating the look of his images, but as in art one must come up with his own interpretation and style. This is the only way one will find his or her creative identity. :)

    ReplyDelete