Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Let Sleeping Flashes Lie

I haven't had the luxury of being able to sit down and work on a proper post. There are a number of possible topics floating around in my head, but I haven't been able to nail them down just yet. I am hoping that the coming long weekend will afford me the time to write something more substantial. However, I don't want the long pause in between posts to become a recurring thing; so, I'm squeaking this one out and hoping it will build enough momentum to carry me through the end of the week.

I will be writing at greater length about the diwata-themed shoot that I did as part of building my portfolio. For now, let me just share a happy accident that occurred at that time. I had Jing up on the tree and while we were adjusting her pose, checking her hair, fixing her dress, and waiting for the early morning sun to shine consistently (C'mon, buddy. Make up your mind!) the hot-shoe flash fell asleep entered power-saving mode. Now, I usually test fire the flash before I make the shot, but apparently my brain also fell asleep.

So, the shutter clicks and Queenie reports that the flash didn't fire. I checked the image on the back of my camera and confirmed that very fact. This is what I saw on my LCD screen.



A few years back, I would've found my finger moving towards the trash button, but I found that the image worked despite the flash not firing. I decided to keep the picture because it's not too often that the universe lines everything up just waiting for you to make the 'wrong' move.

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe this is a serendipitous shot. Instinctive, maybe. Nevertheless, it shows that you have matured in your craft, P're. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, P're. I'm more than okay with a little serendipity every now and then. :-)#

      Delete