Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Diwata's Gifts


This post will deal less with the technical aspect of the diwata-themed pictures that I shot recently, but will instead focus more on the lessons that I learned as I went through the process of conceptualizing, planning and executing the shoot. I have already expressed how much I want to do more with my photography here, so I decided that investing in a personal project to build my portfolio was a step in the right direction.

The diwata's gifts will be revealed after the jump.

__________

The Gift of Ideas

Far from any piece of gear or access to a particular location, I highly appreciate the boon of a great idea. The concept for the shoot came from Jing (my subject) herself. A seed that my team and I nurtured from infancy to maturity. We talked at length about the look we wanted to achieve – more nature goddess than fairy – and from there slowly filled in the details for location, wardrobe, and makeup. We ultimately decided on two looks, one regal and the other untamed (one of my favorites from the first look is shown below). However, we still needed to translate scribbles and doodles on paper into something real.



The Gift of Focus

With our ideas finalized on paper, we had a working guide on what each of us needed to accomplish for the shoot. Jing rummaged through her closets for clothes that would match the looks we set out to portray. Queenie worked on finding materials that she was going to use for our custom-made accessories. Susan put together the makeup components that were going to complete the look. I scouted and decided on the location, and did a couple of practice (indoor) shoots with Jing to work on lighting and posing. If I was going to ask someone to climb up a tree in a purple gown, I should damn well know how I'm going to light her and what I want her to do while she's up there. In fact, our last practice shoot went so well that we decide to keep some of the images we made that day. It also gave us a confidence boost going into the actual shoot.



The Gift of Harmony

At about quarter to 6 am on a sunny Monday, I dragged Susan (who dearly loves her sleep) to D' Family Park (it's an unfortunate name, I know) to meet up with Jing and Queenie. Having done a couple of runs before, everyone fell into their respective roles: I setup up my gear and then went around to give the venue one last going over, while Queenie and Susan got Jing ready for the first look. Once Jing was ready, I directed her to locations that I pre-selected and went through the poses that we worked on days before. Queenie took on VAL duties, while Susan chatted up park personnel to ask for 'secret' nooks and crannies that we could use in a future shoot. Aside from the sun playing hide and seek behind the clouds, the shoot went so well that we were able to transition from one look to the next without exceeding the time we allotted by much. And even when the sun wasn't being too cooperative (Dude, all you got to do is to provide fill light!), we still came up with great shots like the one below.



To say that I am lucky to have such a dedicated group of people who work with and support me would be an outright understatement. To Jing, Queenie, and Susan, I am humbly grateful and will always appreciate the chance that you're taking on me.

__________

The full Diwata set can be viewed here. For those who are interested in hiring me for a portrait session, you can contact me with the details on this page for a quote. Thanks.

0 comments: Drop your 2¢ in the comment well.:

Post a Comment