Friday, August 26, 2011

DPP 0811, Day 20 – Dale

20110822_dpp-dale

I use a number of color filters (also called gels) in lighting portraits. I mainly use CTO’s for warming the skin tones or to match the color of the late afternoon sun. From time to time, I also use other filters (such as a Tough Plus Green) to color balance with existing ambient or simply to add colored light to a shot.

Having prepared and worked with various colored solutions in the lab, I’ve always wondered about their use as filters. They’re not as handy as their solid counterparts, but one can actually modify their concentration to alter the wavelength and the intensity of the light transmitted. I got my chance when a couple of third years were preparing fluorescein dye for their exhibit on forensics.

I already had the shot pre-visualized. However, it took a number of tries and tweaks before I got the effect I wanted from the solution. Looking at it now, I think of the other things I could’ve improved, but I believe that’s why one must keep shooting and learn from pictures past.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you placed the subject, and the black board acts as a border. The shadows on the subject lend some drama, still keeping your style, I see.

    Does the light on Dale's eyes come from the fluorescein dye? If it does, I could just imagine the number of takes to get the right placement of the light. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, P're. As always, you are too gracious with your comments.

    The light was shot through the fluorescein solution and Dale's fingers flagged some of the light, thus lighting only a part of his face. It did take a couple of clicks to get it right, but I'm glad we persevered.

    ReplyDelete