Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Taking Out the Outtakes

Outtakes, especially in video, after often perceived, albeit inaccurately, as bloopers. By definition, outtakes are simply stills or scenes that didn’t make it to the final edit. In photography, one has to make the hard decision of selecting which image (or images) to present, so it is only natural that only a few images make the cut.

This selection process, of course, is highly subjective. Most of the time, there is nothing technically wrong with the images. It is just that often one has to weigh being technically correct versus being creatively wonderful. The choice is always never easy, but you have to pick one in the end.

20110611_maricel_0016

I made the above picture of Ising a few months back. I didn’t plan on having a water curtain on the site, so it sort of caught me off guard. I struggled a bit with getting the look I wanted, but was lucky able to get this shot towards the end. I have nits to pick about this image, but I am happy to have gone through the challenge. I now have a better idea on how to deal with these sort of shooting conditions the next time around.

A couple more outtakes from my DPP 0811 after the jump …

__________


I’d love to hear your thoughts on whether or not I made the right choice of leaving these out. :-)#

20110803_dpp_0027
Paolo

20110803_dpp_0047
 Joy

20110805_dpp_0005
 Lloyd

20110805_dpp_0013
Ian

3 comments:

  1. P're, these shots are also good but the ones you had picked were better.

    I was amazed by how the light highlighted Paolo's cheekbone. But this doesn't show Paolo's "killer" look (at least to young girls hehehe).

    Joy's shot too didn't show her playful nature.

    Lloyd's shot has more drama when he was facing you whereas Ian's shot is more dynamic if he was not looking the camera.

    Finally, I witnessed how you tried to conquer the challenge of shooting Ising with the curtain of water. For someone unprepared, Ising's shot came out still wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I am glad you have figured out what to do with your archives. It cleans up some of the space. Good housekeeping technique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, P're, for all the wonderful comments.

    My archive section actually started out like this, but I decided to switch to hierarchy view at some point. If I come up with fewer posts, then I might just shift back then. :-)#

    ReplyDelete